MODULE 2 – MITIGATION: Emission Reduction and Low Carbon Society |
As part of Global Covenant of Mayors’ capacity building series for Malaysian cities, IUC Asia in coordination with Kuala Lumpur Regional Training Center and CityNet organised the second training in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 22-24 April 2019.
Deputy Mayor Kuala Lumpur, Dato’ Mahadi opened the event together with Deputy Secretary General CityNet, Ms. Aisha Tobing, and representative of GCoM Southeast Asia Secretariat, Ms. Asih Budiati.
Objectives of this second module training are the following:
1. Basic Principles and Climate Actions on Greenhouse Gases (GHG) Emission Reduction;
2. Climate Action Plan in the Asia Pacific;
3. Low Carbon Solution Policies: Strategies to the low Carbon Society Principles and Challenges;
4. Methodologies on building the GHG Baseline Emission Inventories;
5. Strengthening Infrastructure to Support the Implementation of Low-Carbon Strategies
Ms. Eleonora Lo Vullo from European Commission – Joint Research Center facilitated the on-hands training for the methodology of GHG baseline emission inventories and support cities to set their city emission reduction target.
Ms. Milaq San Jose from C40 presented about localizing global agenda and acceleration of Climate Action Plan. While Dr. Wee Kean Fong, Deputy Country Director of WRI China share the mitigation policies, practices, and tools. Followed with presentation of low carbon solution and strategies by Kim Na Won from ADB. The first day closed by panel discussion on low carbon city plan and GHG inventory tools by Iskandar, Jakarta and IGES.
While in second day was mainly presentation from cities:
- Best practices on the implementation of low carbon strategies from Yokohama (Japan), Bharatpur (Nepal), and Banda Aceh (Indonesia).
- Best practices of sustainable urban mobility from Seoul (South Korea) and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia).
- Presentation of GHG baseline emission from Seberang Perai, IRDA, and Putrajaya.